Rebecca P. Duncan
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Biology
University of Miami, Coral Gables, Florida 33124 USA
University of Miami, Ph.D., 2009-present
Lewis & Clark College, B.A. with honors, 2006
NSF Graduate Research Fellow, 2011-present
Ph.D. student with Alex C.C. Wilson, University of Miami, Department of Biology, University of Miami, 2009-present
Research Assistant to Greta J. Binford, Department of Biology, Lewis & Clark College, 2007-2009
Undergraduate Senior Thesis research with Greta J. Binford and Kellar Autumn, Department of Biology, Lewis & Clark College, 2005-2006
Summer REU student with Matthew H.J. Cordes, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, University of Arizona, 2006
Independent research with Greta J. Binford, Department of Biology, Lewis & Clark College, 2005
Summer REU student with Mani Ramaswami, Department of Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Arizona, 2005
Honors and Awards
2nd place poster award, Graduate Symposium, Department of Biology, University of Miami, 2012
Nominated as associate member of Sigma Xi, 2011
NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, 2011-present
Nominated for Outstanding Teaching Assistant, Department of Biology, University of Miami, 2011
Honorable Mention, NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program, 2010
Best poster award, Graduate Symposium, Department of Biology, University of Miami, 2010
Best student talk runner up, American Arachnological Society Annual Meeting, 2006
Grants and Funding
Sigma Xi Grant-in-Aid of Research, 2012 ($600)
Kushlan Graduate Research Support Fund, Department of Biology, University of Miami, 2012 ($1,200)
Dean’s Summer Research Fellowship, College of Arts and Sciences, University of Miami, 2012 ($5,000)
William H. Evoy Graduate Research Support Fund, Department of Biology, University of Miami, 2010 ($600)
Percy Sladen Memorial Fund travel grant for international fieldwork, The Linnean Society of London, 2008 (£650)
Student Academic Affairs Board undergraduate research/travel grant, Lewis & Clark College, 2005 ($1,000)
10. Wilson ACC, Duncan RP (2015) Signatures of host/symbiont genome coevolution in insect nutritional endosymbioses. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA in press.
9. Dahan RA, Duncan RP, Wilson ACC, Davalos LM (2015) Amino acid transporter expansions associated with the evolution of obligate endosymbiosis in sap-feeding insects (Hemiptera: sternorrhyncha). BMC Evolutionary Biology 15:52.
8. Duncan, R.P., Husnik, F., Van Leuven, J.T., Gilbert, D.G., Dávalos, L.M., McCutcheon, J.P., Wilson, A.C.C. 2014. Dynamic recruitment of amino acid trasnporters to the insect-symbiont interface. Molecular Ecology. 23(6):1608-1623.
7. Husnik, F., Nikoh, N., Koga, R., Ross, L., Duncan, R.P., Fujie, M., Tanaka, M., Satoh, N., Bachtrog, D., Wilson, A.C.C., von Dohlen, C.D., Fukatsu, T., McCutcheon, J.P. 2013. Horizontal gene transfer from diverse bacteria to an insect genome enables a tripartite nested mealybug symbiosis. Cell. 153(7):1567-78.
6. Duncan, R.P., Nathanson, L., Wilson, A.C.C. 2011. Novel male-biased expression in paralogs of the aphid slimfast nutrient amino acid transporter expansion. BMC Evolutionary Biology. 11:253.
5. Price, D.R.G*, Duncan, R.P.*, Shigenobu, S., Wilson, A.C.C. 2011. Genome expansion and differential expression of amino acid transporters at the aphid/Buchnera symbiotic interface. Molecular Biology and Evolution. 28(11):3113–3126.
*Joint first authors
4. Duncan, R.P., Rynerson, M.R., Ribera, C., Binford, G.J. 2010. Diversity of Loxosceles spiders in Northwestern Africa and molecular evidence for cryptic species in the Loxosceles rufescens lineage. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution. 55(1): 234-248.
3. Cziko, A.-M.J., McCann, C.T., Howlett, I.C., Barbee, S.A., Duncan, R.P., Luedemann, R., Zarnescu, D., Zinsmaier, K.E., Parker, R.P., Ramaswami, M. 2009. Genetic Modifiers of DFMR1 Encode RNA-Granule Components in Drosophila. Genetics. 182:1051-1060.
2. Binford, G.J. Callahan, M.S. Bodner, M.R. Rynerson, M.R. Berea Núñez, P. Ellison, C.E., Duncan, R.P. 2008. Phylogenetic relationships of Loxosceles and Sicarius spiders are consistent with Western Gondwanan vicariance. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution. 49:538-553.
1. Duncan, R.P., Autumn, K., Binford, G.J. 2007. Convergent setal morphology in sand-covering spiders suggests a design principle for particle capture. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences.1629:3049-3056.
Highlighted in Nature 418:758.
Duncan, R.P., 2006. Analysis of a convergent mechanism of sand adhesion in the cryptic spider genera Sicarius (Sicariidae) and Homalonychus (Homalonychidae). Undergraduate Honor’s Thesis, Lewis & Clark College
Invited Research Seminars Speaker
Science Speaker Series, Science Department, Broward College, Davie FL (March 2013)
Department of Zoology, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain (January, 2007)
Research Mentor – Undergraduate
Nicholas Marcos, Summer REU student (2012)
Guest Lecturer, BIL556 – Evolutionary and Ecological Genomics, University of Miami (2011)
Teaching Assistant, BIL141 – Evolution and Biodiversity Laboratory, University of Miami (2011)
Guest Lecturer, BIL149 – Seminar for Freshman Biology majors, University of Miami (2010)
Teaching Assistant, BIL250 – Genetics, University of Miami (2010)
Teaching Assistant, BIL151 – Introductory Biology Laboratory, University of Miami (2009-2010)
Teaching Assistant, BIO200 Lab – Investigations in Cell and Molecular Biology Laboratory (2006)
National Public Outreach
8th grade lab tour for STEM career panel, Coral Gables, FL (2013)
Alexander Montessori School, Red Road Campus (pre-k), South Miami, FL (2012)
Richmond Heights Middle School (grade 7), Pinecrest, FL (2012)
Interviewed for Spanish language TV show Detrás del saber (Behind the Knowledge) that features science and technology topics, Coral Gables, FL (2012)
Springwater Environmental Sciences School (grades k-1), Portland, OR (2007)
Southwest Charter School (grades 1-3), Portland, OR (2007)
The Portland French School (grade 2), Portland, OR (2006)
Riverdale Grade School Lego Robotics Team, Portland, OR (2006)
Invited talk to educators, Arizona Sonoran Desert Museum, Tucson, AZ (2006)
Participant and co-coordinator, SpiderFest annual public outreach event, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, OR (2005-2008)
International Public Outreach
International School of Dakar (grades 1-12), Dakar, Senegal (2008)
The American School in Casablanca (grade k), Casablanca, Morocco (2007)