TO REVIEW THE LECTURE NOTES,
CLICK ON THE LECTURE NUMBER
These posted notes are not a substitute for attending class and reading the textbook.
Anything said in class, anything in your textbook readings is fair game for exams, even if it's not in the notes.
Readings in Campbell for each lecture are shown next to the appropriate lecture notes link.
Lecture 1 -
Evolution: Descent with Modification (Chapter 1, 22)
2 - The Darwinian Revolution (Chapter 22)
Lecture 3a - Patterns and Process: Evidence in Living Things (Chapter 22)
Lecture 3b - Pattens and Process: Evidence in the Earth (Chapter 22) Lecture 4 -
Quantifying Evolutionary Change: Hardy-Weinberg (Chapter 23)
Lecture 5 -
Forces that Drive Evolution: Mutation (Chapter 23)
Exam 1 - Tuesday, February 16 at 5:05pm EST in Assignments on Blackboard
- Exam 1 will cover material in Lectures 1 - 5 and in the Systematics Workshop.
- Exam 1 Study Guide.
TIPS FOR EFFECTIVE STUDYING:
- READ THE ASSIGNED TEXT CHAPTERS. All assigned readings are fair game for exams.
- The best study guides are your notes, text, and links
- Use the internet to find additional information on interesting topics!
- SOLVE THE PROBLEMS AT THE END OF THE CHAPTERS IN CAMPBELL BIOLOGY. They really help.
Lecture 6 -
Forces that Drive Evolution: Genetic Drift (Chapter 23)
Lecture 7 -
Forces that Drive Evolution: Migration (Chapter 23)
Lecture 8 -
Forces that Drive Evolution: Non-random Mating (Chapter 23)
Lecture 9a -
Forces that Drive Evolution: Natural Selection (Chapter 23)
Lecture 9b -
Forces that Drive Evolution: Sexual Selection (Chapter 23)
Exam 2 - Tuesday, March 9 at 5:05pm EST in Assignments on Blackboard
It will cover material in Lectures 6 - 9, including the workshops. Lecture 12 - The Importance of Biodiversity (Chapter 25, Chapter 56, pp 1266-1270)
13 - Protists: The Simplest Eukaryotes (Chapter 28)
Exam 2 Study Guide.
10 - Macroevolution: Mechanisms of Speciation (Chapter 24)
Lecture 11 - The History of Life on Earth (Chapter 25)
- Workshop: Prokaryotes (Chapter 27)
View these three videos on antibiotic mechanisms of action and the TED talk before the workshop:
14 - The Emergence of Plants (Chapter 29)
Lecture 15 - Plant Architecture (Chapter 35)
Exam 3 - Tuesday, March 30 at 5:05pm EST in Assignments on Blackboard
Exam 4 - Tuesday, April 13 at 5:05pm EST in Assignments on Blackboard
- It will cover material from Lectures 16 - 21, including both workshops above.
- Exam 4 Study Guide
Lecture 22 - Animalia: Deuterostomes (Chapter 33)
Lecture 23 - Introduction to Ecology and the Biosphere (Chapter 52)
Lecture 24 - The Abiotic Environment: Climate (Chapter 52)
Lecture 25 - Organismal, Community, and Ecosystem Ecology (Chapter 54, 55)
Lecture 27 - Terrestrial Biomes (Chapter 52)
View these REQUIRED VIDEOS before the workshop.
There WILL BE exam questions on the content of these videos.
Exam 5 - Thursday, May 6 from 11:00am - 1:30pmBIL
UM Biology Home
Exam 5 Study Guide
Exam 5 Study Guide for Overall Knowledge
- Non-cumulative section will cover Lectures 20 - 27, including the Workshops.
- Cumulative section will cover major concepts from the entire course.